Winching without proper power is a car without fuel. Most of the time we pick the most important item for our jeep and tend to forget some of those which may come handy at the end of the day while going offroad on a bumpy mountain. And that is a proper winch battery. For lifting a jeep, a trailer, truck, or a car properly you will need the best winch battery for electrical power.
The main reason behind this is winching needs a lot of power, and without a heavy-duty electrical battery, the juice will run down very quickly and ruin your whole process suddenly.
So, what you need is an alternative solution to the general car batteries specialized for winching. It may have been a bit hard in the past, but in 2020 you will get a lot of choices.
Top 7 Battery for Winching: Reviews to Consider
We have reviewed the 21 most popular batteries for electric winch in the market, and after testing and experiencing them first hand came down to the 7 items.
Here are the reviews of the electric winch batteries you should look at to find your most suitable one.
1. Best Overall – XS Power D6500 XS Series 12V Battery
If you are looking for the best 12v battery for heavy-duty winching then the XS Power D6500 XS Series is the perfect choice for you. With excellent cranking capacity (cranking amps 1070) and reserve capacity, the output power is strong enough in most of our testing.
For offroad winching, the force and power make it ideal for even a heavy jeep. It works on the powerful winch engine producing 15,000 pounds of pulling force on the first wrap quite comfortably. Giving a pause and starting with the battery seem smoother than expected.
Using it was a surprising experience, as out of the box it was working like a beast. In our jeep winching test, the performance stood out from most of the batteries. For offroad winching, the force and power make it ideal for even a big powerful jeep.
It works on the powerful winch engine producing 15,000 pounds of pulling force on the first wrap quite comfortably. Giving a pause and running with the battery seem smoother than expected. Moreover, the build quality makes sure you can use it in a rough situation for a long time.
Also, we like the absorbent mat which makes sure of any kind of absorbent spilling out of the battery. The glass made the design of the mat make sure your battery remains safe in hot and humid conditions while lifting the car.
This powerful electronic battery is not only great for winch-machine, but you can also use it as your jeep started and many other works for its excellent power. I recommend it to most of the car mechanics and users in 2020.
– It comes with high power for strong winching.
– The winch battery design is spill-proof.
– It can be used in all kinds of weather and environment.
– Provide proper guidance and items for easy installation.
– Durability and built quality are awesome for rough usage.
– The price is one the higher side.
2. Best 12v Battery for Winching – Optima 8042-218 D75/25 Battery
For mighty jeep lifting in on roughest, this one is the best choice in terms of constant power performance. With the tough build quality, the vibration and wet resistance option make it an ideal battery for offroad driving winches. Considering our many years of experience in garage and car driving, we can certainly say Optima is a reputable battery company that doesn’t break its promises.
Why it is a safe and reliable battery for jeep and car pulling machines (best optima battery for winching)?
This is because of its spiralcell technology which makes the battery last in rough roads, wet conditions, and strong vibration that normally creates if you are going over a rocky road.
Another thing is the consistent voltage. Imagine if your jeep stuck in a place that the engine cannot overcome, then the battery will start the winching machine to make sure you can get out of the situation quickly.
This Optima 8042-218 offers 662 CC Amp with 12volt battery, which surely will make sure you can penetrate the winch machine to pull the car without any issues. We used this battery and the Optima 8014-045 model battery with the Warn VR12-S Winch and we can safely say that this battery can handle 12000+ pounds of pulling capacity.
Overall the design of sealed construction and durability with the winching performance was good enough to make this our second choice in 2020. The only thing we would have loved is having it at a lower cost. Also, we felt that having a handle to carry it would have been a good option.
- It comes with great power to winch 12000+ pounds of pulling.
- The construction quality to last in roughest bumps.
- Spiralcell technology makes running the battery safe and easy.
- Comes from a reputed and famous brand makes this item reliable
- It is also weather and moisture-proof.
- Easier to use and install for cars, jeeps, and RVs.
- The price is higher than our liking.
- The battery is a bit heavy if you are looking for a lighter one.
3. Best Jeep Battery for Winching – NORTHSTAR NSB-AGM34/78
We have been using this item for a long time as a general power source for our jeep. We saw a lot of people was asking about how it is in lifting. From research, we thought to give it a go and test this battery with different jeeps for lifting to see how it performs in different conditions. Our result was so impressive that we included this item at number 3.
The NORTHSTAR NSB-AGM34/78 battery comes with 620 cranking amps giving you a perfect start for directional line pulls. Also, the 98 minutes reserve capacity for normal jeep usage means you can go quite a far if your car gets into any deep mud.
I have used this source with Jeep Wrangler and having tested it for pulling power with a long rope, the performance is quite impressive and you will have a quick start. It could winch the jeep from a long distance without cutting off the power.
The only thing I would have more liked if the battery was a little more compact. And the weight is also weighty. Normally, you cannot use this in a small compartment. So, before buying the battery, you should check the size f your car or jeep to see if it can fit in there.
It also comes with the spill-proof usual technologies all the good batteries have nowadays, but the design and the build quality make sure you can use it in a tough condition. Moreover, the price is unbeatable making it the best affordable jeep battery for winching.
- The CC Amp is good enough for medium quick pulling.
- You can use this in a jeep for most rough and muddy conditions.
- Comes with some modern technologies.
- Doesn’t get leaked after big bumps on the road.
- Price is affordable considering the performance and power.
- The size is big enough not to fit in all cars.
- Add extra weight in your jeep.
- Not much CCA if you consider the other top items.
4. Best Battery for Trailer Winch – Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M TROLLING Thunder
Looking for something that can handle a lot of power and surely for a better length of time, then check out this Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M TROLLING Thunder battery review for more information. With the perfect protective sealing, this battery is renowned for its power, which can pull the car on a trailer very easily.
What makes it ideal for use with a trailer is the powerful thrust and cranking amps of 1150. Charging the whole product is really fast and also, we were pleased with the overall lifetime of this item. Using it for trolling motor makes it live 4 – 7 years pretty easily. With that, 4 years of replacement warranty is a big trusting factor.
We have tested it for many reasons, offroad jeep driving, mountain driving with the car, trailer mounting, and ATV. And for its powerful thrust and better life cycle in all of our tests, the result came satisfying. The battery can produce 13000 + pounds of a winch and works well with aluminum wires along with rope and synthetic ones.
The high quality material is not the only reason, it stands out from the rest. You will be excited to see how the sealing has been maintaining to make it spill-proof and perfect for all conditions, bigger bumps, and more dangerous recoveries.
The price of the item can be a reason for frowning for many people, but if you are willing to buy a reliable item that will do its job in difficult recoveries with trailer other jeeps, then you should give it a go.
- Comes with a huge amount of power for better recoveries.
- The built quality of the item is perfect for enduring bumps, jerkings, and rough driving.
- The high quality technology will make this battery-free from leakage.
- It can be used for trailer recovery and car mounting.
- Comes with better longevity and perfect warranty.
- You can use the power for different winch motor and wiring.
- Price is higher than its competitors.
5. Best Deep Cycle – Optima 8003-151 34R RedTop Battery
Optima Batteries 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery is a famous name in the automotive industry for its reliability in cars. The deep cycle nature of the battery with 800 cold-cranking amps makes a great choice for jeep, cars, and RV winching.
Moreover, you will be impressed with its reserve capacity, which makes it very handy for getting your vehicle out from steep slopes and other dangerous locations. We have pretty long experiences in using these Optima 8003 batteries and in most cases, they are reliable, long-lasting, and do its job in various implications.
We have experienced this battery with the Chevy 1500 winch with the 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 model and we got better results. The product comes with 100+ minutes of reserves capacity meaning you can pull up the truck in a less durable and more tough condition.
Some other things we liked are the spiralcell water, spill, and wetproof technology which will allow you to use it in every weather. what makes this the best battery for jeep wrangler with winch is the power and the technology with durable design. To make it even more durable on mountain roads the company suggested it comes with 15x vibration resistance adds.
However, like the previous model this item is also on the heavier side and a bit big to be honest. The other thing I have noticed is some people did get bad units which weren’t up to the mark. So, this is another thing to look for.
- It comes with great 12v power with perfect CCA to start the machine.
- Water and dustproof technology make the battery usable for most occasions.
- Charges faster than most other models of the market.
- The vibration resistant technology makes sure it doesn’t break in bumps.
- A perfect deep cycle battery choice for winching.
- Some of the later product units may come with faults.
- The weight of the battery reduces its chances to use with all cars.
6. Best ATV Battery for Winch – Odyssey 48-720 Battery
Some of the models of ATV batteries do a pretty good job for car and jeep electrical winches. And this Odyssey 48-720 is a perfect example of that. This battery has a perfect amp draw which can handle the power of pull we need during the winching.
This perfect ATV battery has a decent Cranking Amp of 723. This means you can create a lot of force out there to overcomes the beaten path very quickly. Moreover, the higher reserve capacity indicates you will have a better time for doing the job. So, you can go a bit far than other batteries on the mountain with this model.
We have tested this with jeep wrangle on several mountain roads; tested this with FROM ANT Series Electric 12500lbs machines. Our experience of several recovery situations was excellent meaning the battery did a perfect job with 12500-pound super-fast rope pull out from the machines.
This model is one of the heaviest batteries of this list. And the size isn’t ideal for a small car place. So, before buying this for your bumpy mountain driving, check if it can fit in your car. But despite the weight, the item is easier to carry thanks to the manufacturer for giving it a nice handle.
Also, modern design makes sure you can use it in most weather and heat. with this, the spillproof technologies will ensure you won’t have to worry about any leakage. Also, the item is reliable and strongly made to survive tough roads.
- It comes with strong power to pull up your jeep easily.
- The reliable company makes sure you don’t have to worry much.
- Made with durable material and modern technology to ensure better lasting.
- It can be used for strong winch machines.
- Easy to carry for the handle.
- Recharging of the item is fast considering other models.
- It will make your car heavy.
7. Perfect Stand Alone for Winching – ACDelco 48AGM Battery
In terms of the lasting heavy-duty car pulling works, the ACDelco will be very effective. In our testing, the total temperature was surprisingly cooler than other models of our winch battery reviews. This is because of the different circulation technology of the manufacturer.
How this helps for offroad car winching?
Some may argue about the CCA power for not being on the top like we have seen in the XS Power D6500, model. But it has something new which does not leak too much energy wastage. That makes sure you can use the best of the power in the process of pulling your car out of rough areas.
The CC 760amps ensures you will still be having a decent amount of power to crate around 12000lb pulling capacity which makes it an ideal choice as a stand-alone battery for winching.
Another advantage we saw is how easy it is to carry with the handles the manufacturer provides. Moreover, the installation process was very easy making it one of the easier batteries for winching in our list.
- Comes with advanced technology too remain cool.
- Do not waste energies leading it to get the most out of the power.
- The handles make it easier to carry around.
- Do not leak any acids for the well built.
- Durable battery for use in rough road conditions.
- Power is limited to other competitors.
- The build quality has some lacking.
Important Question on Winching Batteries
We have seen some of the very important questions about these kinds of items which are needed for the off-road car and jeep driving. Here are a few of them, which we thought of answering.
Can You Run a Winch off a Deep Cycle Battery?
The older models of the deep cycle batteries weren’t designed to provide the heap power in an instant that requires for winching. So, they were not capable of winching in the past. But the modern deep cycle batteries (like the Optima 8003) work perfectly drawing 650+ CCA for its technology.
They generally produce 700+ CCA which can run a winching machine with proper current draw.
In our different testing, we have seen winching for deep cycle models are great enough in tough situations, muddy, scrubs, etc.
How Long Will a Winch Run on a Battery?
Winching takes the battery juice pretty quickly because it is pulling the whole truck weight upward. Usually, the batteries designed for winching will last for more than 10-20 minutes of winching.
You need to constantly on and off the winch switch to make the battery colder after using it for 40-50 seconds. In most case scenarios, a single battery does it works dragging the truck towards the trees from hazards.
What Are Winch Batteries
Modern batteries offer higher cold cranking amperage (CCA). These are far more practical for series wound motors. Dual batteries, once mandatory for high output winch systems, are optional. If your Jeep’s battery rates above 600 CCA (preferably 850 CCA or higher), the normal needs of a high output series wound motor could be met with a single battery.
For extreme duty use or very long winch pulls, consider a second battery and an automatic battery isolator. The isolator prevents draining your main battery below the level necessary to start the engine.
Installing the Winch Battery for the First Time
Using a pre-setup battery for offroad recoveries is not a wise option as winching drains the battery very quickly. You need to install special batteries with higher electricity to drive the machine for a decent time. So if you are planning for offroad driving a good battery setup is vital.
Items Needed for Winch Battery Installation
Setting up the battery needs some equipment not only for safety but also for doing it properly. Here are some of them, you need to install the item.
- Tom Hooks frame comes handy if you are processing the installation single-handedly.
- Choker Chain for vehicle recovery during the installation.
- Safety automotive gloves are useful for extra grip and other security.
- Chevis accessory kits help to close and open nuts of the cars.
- Other automotive kits can come handy including meters, screwdrivers, etc.
De-installing Older Battery
If you own a Jeep, then removing the older battery isn’t a big thing, we all sometimes remove the battery. But before buying a strong battery, see the compartment of the battery location in your car, take the measurement and then buy a new one.
De-installation is easy, just use gloves for removing the wiring and make sure it doesn’t get teared up in the process. While pulling the battery up form the compartment, make sure it doesn’t displace the tubes around the wire.
Some people would prefer a cheaper option to keep the battery: a battery box. Some people would keep them in a battery tray.
Installing the Charger
For the new set, you will require a better amp charger to charge your battery unit quicker. There are few great chargers available in the market, pick one of them which supports your winch battery and install them around the compartment area.
Putting the Battery in the Compartment
Before putting it in, you should check the compatibility. I first check the winch with the battery to see how it is performing before putting it in the compartment. It lets me see if there are any problems or not. After seeing that the motor is starting normally and engaging at a good speed, I can be certain of the wiring and then put it in the compartment.
Before going there, clean the area and wet parts. See if the battery is covering any wire that can be harm with the battery pressure. Clear out the area and put the item in it.
Setting Up the Wiring for Winch Battery
Check out a few steps to make the whole wiring process quickly.
- Install a proper ground system on the wiring. The best ground system takes the battery negative cable directly to the engine block.
- Next, install the alternator housing or its ground post connects to the engine. Make it with a ground strap from the engine block to the frame completing the circuit. The winch system may now ground directly to the neighborhood or frame.
- It is better to read the instruction manual that comes with the battery. Each manufacturer furnishes specific electrical requirements for its various winch models. Consult your kit instructions for details.
- As an additional item, consider an accessible master disconnect switch—Mount the switch in an easy to reach a place, out of line from the winch.
- Under extreme load, winch motors and the electrical system can overheat, and an accessible master switch allows shutting the system down entirely without placing your limbs in jeopardy.
- If your winch electrics interface with a complex electrical system (sound system, lights, and an extra battery), you may need a complete, high amperage harness. With the harness install extra items carefully.
- You need to take some precautions with some batteries that include extra charge inside the battery. For starting if you leave the lights on or if there is an electrical problem. By flipping the switch, you activate the back-up portion of the battery for reserve power.
A heavy-duty engine, alternator, frame, and winch ground system assure full power. Here, 1/0 welding cable supplies both positive and negative battery cables and the complete ground circuit.
Precautions and Safety Tips for Using Batteries
Since we constantly use batteries in appliances around the house, our familiarity with them may breed a false sense of confidence about handling the battery in a car. In reality, that innocent-looking car battery can be the cause of serious injuries.
A car battery uses chemicals to produce electrical energy, and in so doing, it creates flammable and explosive hydrogen gas. A lit cigarette or spark can cause the hydrogen gas to explode. The following tips will help you prevent injury while you are working around the battery:
Precautions to take:
- Never use a match or cigarette lighter to illuminate what you are doing, and never smoke near the battery.
- Don’t lean over the battery when working on it.
- Whenever you work with the battery, always remove the negative (or ground) cable first; it is usually marked with a “minus” sign. When you are done, reconnect it last. This caution will greatly reduce the chance of causing a spark, which could ignite the hydrogen gas.
- When using jumper cables, never connect the ground jumper cable to the negative post of the run-down battery. Instead, connect it to the frame or the engine block of the stalled car, as far as possible from the battery.
- Be careful when using tools around the battery. You could accidentally make a direct connection across the terminals or from the hot terminal to a grounded part of the car, creating a dangerous spark.
- Don’t allow battery electrolyte (acid) to contact skin, eyes, clothing, or paint.
- If you are using a battery charger, make sure you hook it up correctly.
Follow the directions on the charger, and be sure the charger is turned off or unplugged before making connections. Also, remember to turn the charger off and unplug it after charging and before disconnecting the charger leads.
Using a standalone winch battery means you will be solely depending on it for the most crucial times. So, choosing a quality item from reputable manufacturing is more important than you may have thought.
But sometime, to make the better use of them, you will need to maintain it properly. We have tried to give you the best option available from our uses and tests on different levels. I hope this article will help you to find the best wich batteries in 2020.